Do you suspect your home has hard water? While hard water is not dangerous to your family’s health, it can still be a hassle. It can shorten the life span of water-using appliances, it can make cleaning your bathrooms and kitchen more difficult and it can cause problems with dry skin and dry hair. The best way to get rid of hard water is with a water softener. Rochester residents know they can call Gander Plumbing to have one installed, serviced and maintained. Here are a few other telltale signs that hard water might be an issue at your house.
- One of the best ways to tell if you should look into getting a water softener is by looking at your dishes and glassware. Are you seeing white spots on them, even after they have been through the dishwasher or cleaned by hand? These white spots are mineral deposits caused by hard water.
- If you or any of your family members are noticing problems with dry skin or dull and dried out hair, this is another good indication that your house has hard water. Water softeners can help with dry skin and hair that is brittle or dried out. Removing the excess minerals in your water could result in softer skin and hair for you and your family members.
- Along the same lines, how easy is it to lather soap or shampoo? If it seems to be more difficult than usual, you might be dealing with a hard water problem.
- Another sign that you have a hard water problem is when your white colored clothing or other fabrics start to develop a grayish hue to them. Also, your colored clothing and fabrics will start to fade sooner than they normally would.
- Take a look at your bathroom and kitchen faucets. Do you see the same white spots that you see on your dishes and glassware? Is it difficult to get those white spots off of the taps, no matter what type of cleaning product you use or how hard you scrub? These are some other signs of hard water. A water softener can help make it easier to keep your kitchen and bathroom clean and free of those white spots.
Are you interested in learning more about getting a new water softener in your Rochester home? Call Gander Plumbing at 507-282-7540, or you can contact us to Schedule An Appointment.
A kitchen remodeling project is one of the most rewarding home improvement projects you can do. Whether you are just repainting the walls or ripping out your old counters and cabinets and putting in new ones or something even more extensive, remodeling your kitchen is a great way to breathe new life into your home. Gander Plumbing has helped with many kitchen remodeling projects in Rochester, so here are a few tips on what to think about when it comes to your new kitchen and plumbing.
- Before you choose your new cabinets, choose your new sink. A kitchen remodeling project can easily be sidetracked and end up over-budget if you don’t consider where the piping will hook up into your new sink, especially if it is an under-counter mounted sink. Sometimes the piping is too high to easily hook up the new sink, and this could require us to cut into the back of your new cabinets to install the sink properly.
- If you are having a new dishwasher installed, make sure you have new flooring installed underneath the old dishwasher if the new one is going to be installed after the new flooring is put down. While the new counters and cabinets can be pulled out to make installing the new dishwasher easier, this is risky, especially if your new counters are made out of granite or another heavy stone like that.
- The plumbers from Gander Plumbing will determine various aspects of the plumbing system for your new kitchen, like locating where the new plumbing fixtures will be installed, laying down drain-waste-vent pipes and installing hot and cold water pipes if that’s needed.
- Make sure your kitchen remodeling contractors know when we will be there to help with your kitchen remodeling project. If our workers need to access your kitchen for a certain period of time, it might not be possible for your contractors to do their work at the same time. Be sure everyone knows when to arrive, and be sure all of your contractors and subcontractors are aware of when your plumbers are expected to get to your home.
When you are planning your kitchen remodeling project, we can help you figure out any potential plumbing issues so they do not become bigger and more expensive problems during your renovations.
For more information on kitchen remodeling in Rochester, call Gander Plumbing at 507-282-7540 or Schedule an Appointment.
If you are looking into remodeling your bathroom, then you are probably learning there are a lot of different options available these days. From tile and paint color to faucets and mirrors, there are a lot of decisions that you will have to make. We specialize in bathroom remodeling in Stewartville and the surrounding areas, so here are a few suggestions on what to think about when planning your bathroom renovation project.
- Tub, shower or both? Your bathroom remodeling project is the perfect time to get that tub or shower you have always wanted. If you like to take long and luxurious baths, then look into getting a large bath tub installed so you have plenty of room to stretch out and relax. If you prefer to shower, maybe you don’t need a bath tub. In this day and age, shower heads come with a wide variety of settings: sprays, hand-helds, rain and many more. Your shower or tub can be as plain or as luxurious as you want.
- If you have someone in your family with balance or mobility issues, or if you just want to add an extra safety feature, then look into having grab bars installed. These can easily be incorporated into your bathroom remodeling project, and the grab bars can match the bathroom’s décor and not detract from its overall look and aesthetics.
- Along the same lines, shower seats can be installed as well. These can come in the form of seats that come out of the shower wall for you to sit on, or there are folding seat options available as well if you are concerned about space.
- Take a look at all of your faucet options as well. They come in a wide variety of colors, shapes and sizes, and finding the perfect ones to match your new bathroom’s décor and your own personal style should not be difficult at all. Faucets also come in a variety of pricing points, so finding ones that will fit into your budget should be easy as well.
- If you have any other elements that are must-haves, make sure your bathroom remodelers know this early on so those elements can be incorporated into your bathroom remodeling plans.
Are you interested in learning more about bathroom remodeling in Stewartville and how we can help? Call Gander Plumbing at 507-282-7540 or contact us to get a Free Estimate.
When you are having problems with your toilet, it can be pretty stressful. Especially if your home only has one bathroom! Thankfully, help is only a phone call away. One of our specialties at Gander Plumbing is toilet repair and Rochester homeowners have trusted us for years when they are having problems with their toilets. Here are a few of the most common types of toilet repairs that we do.
Have you ever heard your toilet start to refill on its own, even if no one has flushed it? The cause of this type of toilet problem is usually a very slow leak from the tank into the bowl. Generally, all this type of toilet repair entails is putting in a new flapper or flapper seat. We will drain the bowl and tank, check and clean the flapper seat and then replace the flapper or flapper seat if either part is worn out or somehow damaged.
Water Trickles into the Tank
Do you hear a funny hissing sound coming from your toilet? If so, water is probably trickling from the tank through the supply line. A toilet repair service should check the float, the refill tube and the ballcock or inlet-valve assembly. If the float is not sticking and does not need to be adjusted and if the refill tube is not inserted too far into the overflow tube, then the ballcock assembly probably needs to be replaced. This type of toilet repair can be done by one of our professional plumbers.
Slowly Emptying Bowl
Does it seem to take forever for your toilet to finish flushing? This usually indicates that the holes underneath the rim of the bowl are clogged. This type of toilet repair can be a do it yourself project if you are comfortable doing so, but if not, give us a call and we can unclog these holes so the toilet bowl does not take as long to empty after you flush.
Toilet is Clogged
This is one of the most common toilet repair problems that we see. There are a few different tools that can be used for stubborn clogs besides your standard toilet plunger. But if you are not sure of how to do this properly, call us for help.
Do you need help with toilet repair in Rochester or any of the surrounding areas? Call Gander Plumbing at 507-282-7540 or contact us to Schedule an Appointment.
Did you know that one trillion gallons of water are wasted every year because of plumbing leaks? And that most leaks are a quick and easy fix that can be do-it-yourself projects, or you can call the professional plumbers here at Gander Plumbing for help? Here are a few tips on how to check for leaks and what to do if you find any.
How to Check for Leaks
There are a few different ways you can check to see if any of your plumbing fixtures are leaking. The first and most obvious way is to look at them to see if you can detect any water dripping out of them. But there are a few other sneaky ways that water can be leaking from your plumbing without you seeing it.
One way to check is to look at your water meter when you know that your family will not be using any water for at least two hours. Note where the water is at on the meter and then check again two hours later if no one has used any water in your home. If you notice the water level has decreased, then that is a good indication that you have a leak somewhere.
You can also check for leaks in your toilet by placing a drop of food coloring in the tank. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and, if you see any color in the bowl after that time frame, you have a leak. Be sure to flush the toilet after this test to make sure you don’t accidentally stain the bowl.
How to Fix Leaks
To fix a leak in the toilet, take a look at the toilet flapper. If you see that it is worn or decayed, then it’s time to replace it. If you don’t know how, call our professional plumbers for help.
To fix a leak in showerheads, double check the connection between the showerhead and the pipe stem. Use pipe tape (Teflon tape) to secure it. This type of tape is found at most hardware stores and is the easiest and quickest way to stop these kinds of leaks. You can also replace the washer in the showerhead if need be. If fixes do not work or if the leak is more complicated than this, call our professional plumbers.
To fix a leak in your garden hose, you can replace the rubber or nylon hose washer. Check the connection and use pipe tape and a wrench to help make sure it is tight.
If these fixes do not work or if you are not sure how to do them, you can call Gander Plumbing. We will send one of our professional plumbers to your home to help!
Call us at 507-282-7540 or you can contact us to set up your Free Estimate.